Thursday, July 28, 2005

Celebrate freedom

I bought a sweatshirt for my husband some years ago that says, "Celebrate freedom. Read a banned book." The shirt then goes on to list ten books that were currently banned somewhere in these United States. Here are a few examples: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, The Call of the Wild by Jack London, and Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. (For more information, see banned books online, and other sources.)
  1. Have you ever knowingly read a banned book?
  2. Have you read any of the books I listed above?
  3. Knowing that the above books have been banned, would you read them now? Why?


If you want, highlight the stuff in the box, then copy it to your blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that link, Laura. I have a feeling the document might come in handy in my LIS studies.